Terrace View – MK Dons V Wimbledon – By Billie Marshall

MK Dons left it late to advance to the third round of the English FA Cup after victory over AFC Wimbledon in a historic day at the Stadium MK.

Jon Otsemobor’s last gasp winner proved enough in an emotional game.

It was the first meeting since the two sides were formed following Wimbledon going into administration a decade ago.

AFC Wimbledon made their thoughts clear from the get go, with banners and even the occasional plane overhead, carrying the message ‘We Are Wimbledon’.

It was a performance filled with passion and desire from AFC Wimbledon, and when Jack Midson cancelled out Stephen Gleeson’s opener, a shock looked on the cards.

It was a deserved win for the Dons though, who controlled most the game, but found it hard to break down a stubborn Wimbledon defence.

The first half didn’t live up to the hype of the fixture with AFC Wimbledon intent on keeping MK Dons out, while the Dons were struggling to create anything of real credit.

Jon Otsemobor went close when a free-kick from the right was headed down, only for 42 year old Neil Sullivan to save. The same Neil Sullivan who started his career at Wimbledon, playing 12 years there.

The Dons continued to remain patient. Angelo Balanta went close when his curling effort was inches from finding the bottom corner.

Their effort was rewarded on the stroke of half time. Stephen Gleeson produced a rare bit of brilliance to find the top corner with a speculative effort from 30 yards.

With AFC needing to respond, the second half was a more open affair, with MK Dons seemingly able to create more chances. Dean Lewington’s free kick was tipped over before Balanta’s deflected shot fell into the path of Ryan Lowe, who forced a good save from Sullivan.

Out of nothing, AFC Wimbledon were back in the game. A good bit of play from Midson and Osano saw the former brilliantly finish a diving header across goalkeeper David Martin to draw ‘the crazy gang’ level.

Wimbledon had a chance to win the game late on when Potter was sloppy on the ball, allowing Captain Steven Gregory to force a good save from Martin.

AFC Wimbledon would come to regret that missed chance as minutes later MK Dons won the game. Following a goal mouth scramble, it was eventually played back into the penalty area, for Otsemobor to flick the ball past Sullivan.

It was harsh on Wimbledon who battled throughout, but the quality between the two sides shown in the end.

It was a day which could have boiled over given the occasion, but only the one pitch invasion following the equaliser caused any concern.

It was an historic day, which will be remembered for all the right reasons.



Tagged , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: