Terrace View – Swansea City Win Cup – By Billie Marshall

Swansea City won the Capital One Cup after a fairytale story turned into more of a nightmare for Bradford City at Wembley.

It was the first time Swansea had played in a major cup final, having never gone beyond the 4th round of the Capital One Cup previously.

Underdogs Bradford City were optimistic before the game, but a fairytale ending was not to be as Swansea shown the class difference in the three leagues separating the sides.

Bradford were only the 2nd team from the 4th tier of English football to make a major cup final since Rochdale managed the impressive feat in 1962.

Nathan Dyer scored the opening goal after goalkeeper Matt Duke could only parry a shot from Michu before the Spaniard scored his 19th goal of the season to double the Swans advantage.

Dyer got his second after good build up play before a De Guzman penalty added a fourth and saw a red card shown to Bradford’s Matt Duke
Swansea completed the rout in Injury time when De Guzman got his 2nd and Swansea’s 5th, in the biggest Capital One Cup final win in history.

Bradford’s day was not how they would have envisioned it, but they can take heart for reaching this stage as they fell one game short of a memorable triumph.

In a first half dominated by Swansea possession, chances were few and far between early on with Bradford sitting deep and frustrating the Welsh outfit.

Angel Rangel found space down the right, before he lofted the ball to the back post. Fullback Ben Davies could only head the ball wide, in the first warning for Bradford.

Bradford’s resistance didn’t last long however. Wayne Routledge broke with pace and found Michu, his effort was only parried by Duke as Nathan Dyer slid in to score on the rebound.

Swansea continued to add pressure to the Bantams goal, and when a cleared corner fell to Leon Britton, the midfielder would have been disappointed to have not done better as he flashed it over.

Bradford continued to hold on until five minutes before the half time interval. Pablo Hernandez found Michu, who was given time and space to turn and find the bottom corner to double Swansea’s advantage.

Swansea stretched their leader further when Dyer played a one-two with Routledge before cutting inside and slotting the ball past Duke.

Things got from bad to worse for Bradford as Matt Duke was then sent off for bringing down De Guzman in the area, to give Swansea a penalty kick.
De Guzman took the spot-kick despite Nathan Dyer’s protests to claim his hat-trick, and added the fourth for Swansea on a memorable day for Michael Laudrup’s side.

Swansea completed the scoring in injury time when Rangel found space down the right before De Guzman slid in to add his second.

It is a remarkable turnaround for Swansea. The Welsh side were on the brink of going out the football league back in 2003, and are now Capital One Cup champions a decade on during their centenary year.

Optimism is now high around the Swansea camp, knowing European football is now on the cards for the successful Swans.

Tagged , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: